Forbes Billionaire List Hits Newstands
Forbes’ new Billionaire List hit the newsstands and the Forbes website this month. The current list of 1,645 billionaires reveals that after four years, Microsoft magnate Bill Gates has jumped over Mexican Carlos Slim Helu to retake the number one spot on the list. The five wealthiest on this year’s list with their estimated wealth and home country:
- Bill Gates, $76, billion, U.S.A.
- Carlos Slim Helu, $72 billion, Mexico
- Amanico Ortega, $64 billion, Spain
- Warren Buffet, $58.2 billion, U.S.A.
- Larry Ellison, $48 billion, U.S.A.
Other highlights from the list:
- The aggregate wealth of billionaires is $6.4 trillion.
- Roughly two thirds built their own fortunes. Another 13% inherited, while 21% added to their inheritance.
- Sixty nine countries are represented on the list. Billionaires from the U.S. continue to dominate with 492 billionaires, or about 30%.
- China is represented with 152 billionaires and Russia with 111.
- There were 268 newcomers to the list.
- Thirty one of the billionaires are under age 40.
- The wealthiest woman, Walmart heiress Christy Walton, weighed in at #9 on the list with $36.7 billion.
- Of 172 women on the list, 32 had a “meaningful hand in building their own fortunes.”